Friday, January 20, 2012

Quinoa for breakfast

Quinoa is a little grain that has a ton of protein, and is very popular among Vegans as a main dish or added to other dishes. I wondered how it would taste for breakfast with nuts and dried tart cherries, so I made a small batch last night. I bought some quinoa bread at the Farmer's Market and liked its nuttiness, so I bought a little at Sprouts here in El Paso. I found a lot of information at www.savvyvegetarian.com. Apparently, it tastes better if it is rinsed thoroughly, dried, and toasted. Luckily, I like to make breakfast at night because mornings are so hectic. I often make a pot of steel cut oatmeal on Sunday night, and I put it into 5 bowls for the entire week. In the morning, I reheat, add milk and dried fruit and nuts, and enjoy. I'm glad I did this in the evening because this takes time. After you rinse the quinoa, It has to dry and then you toast it to enhance the flavor. I toasted mine in the oven so I can have it ready for next time as well. At the same time, I toasted some walnuts and pecans for future use. The kitchen smelled toasty and nutty! Breakfast quinoa is cooked like oatmeal, in water or milk. I used water because I like to add milk later. It was so good that I ate a bowl right on the spot, with roasted pecans and raspberry preserves. I put the rest in two bowls for two breakfast. This morning, I added milk, walnuts, and dried sour cherries before heating, and it is like eating a fancy dessert for breakfast!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa, toasted
1 1/2 cups water
Dash sea salt
Cinnamon to taste
Honey or agave sweetener to taste
Method:
Bring the quinoa, water, & salt to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Like cereal, if it is getting too thick, add some hot water.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sweeten with honey or agave.
Serve and add warm milk, fruit and nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment